Here are my 5 top tips for effective study techniques that have helped me a great deal over the past months.
Firstly, some background, I have been studying the processes and skills required to successfully operate my own internet marketing operation, this has involved learning many new computer skills from creating and publishing websites to carrying out key word research for search engine optimization to writing articles. All of this involved many hours at the computer screen viewing videos online, reading books and using the absorbed information for practical exercises. I think the following guidelines can be relevant to any study subject.
Here are my 5 top tips...
- Study with a clear head... by this I mean only study when you have taken care of any work, family or household commitments. Trying to absorb information with other things at the back of your mind can be a massive distraction.
- Do not study past your attention span... Every one has different attention spans, I am fortunate as I have found that mine is quite long, I can study for several hours without a break and still concentrate and absorb information. Try to judge your own attention span and work to that, as soon as you find your mind wandering or you begin to feel fatigued, take a break or stop for the day to refresh your mind. As you study more you may find that your attention span increases, it also helps of course, if you have a real interest in and enjoy whatever subject you are studying.
- Set yourself realistic targets/deadlines... If you have a project to complete as part of your studies ensure you allow yourself ample time to understand and complete the project thoroughly. Do not be tempted to rush through sections of your studies in your eagerness to progress to the next stage, doing this will inevitably result in you having to go over the section or project that you rushed through at a later stage because you did not fully digest or understand the information being conveyed.
- Find at least one active online forum... Related to the subject being studied, this is especially vital if you are, like me, studying alone. Forums provide a means to interact with others who have an interest and knowledge in the your chosen field, forums allow you to ask questions, debate theories, gather opinions and bounce ideas around. They are a great source of information and motivation.
- Award your achievements... When you complete an assignment, module or project, celebrate your success in some way. I very rarely drink alcohol but I enjoy a glass of wine so my reward is a celebratory glass of white wine whenever I complete a task, it can be anything that you decide, but reward yourself for every progression you make. WHATEVER YOU ARE LEARNING, ENJOY YOUR STUDIES AND USE YOUR KNOWLEDGE IN A POSITIVE WAY.